Monday, January 19, 2015

What are we up to now?



Reminder: Friday's dismissal is at 11:40 a.m.
ELA-
  • Our essential question this week is "What do I need to know when I identify the main idea of a book?" We will be learning how to tell what a story is mostly about in a one sentence summary.
  • We will continue to work on writing opinion pieces where we introduce the topic or name of the book they are writing about, state an opinion, supply a reason for the opinion, and provide a sense of closure.
  • Students are learning how to build on other students' comments in conversation. Last week, we learned how to "piggyback" on someone's conversation. We will be learning many other strategies to help us understand what others are saying. Here are some ways that we can help our students build on conversations:


How to Help the Conversation

Become Elaborating Edwin (to enlarge on each other’s ideas) by asking

 I agree with what you are saying because…
 What you just said matches what was in my mind because…
 Why did you say that? Can you show me how you got that idea?
 Could you say more?
 Could you give an example?
 I’m not sure I understand what you are saying. Could you say it in another way?
 I hear what you are saying but I see it differently…
 Tell me more because...
Become Piggyback Petrie (piggyback on each other’s ideas) by asking
 I’d like to add on to what David said.
 I have an example of what you just said.
 Another thing that goes with that is…
 I see a connection between what you said and what we were talking about earlier.
 So, are you saying…
 I agree with the part about…
 Going back to what you said…
 If what you said is true, isn’t it also true that…
 Is one example of that the part on page 13, when…
 That’s true, but

Source: Lucy Calkins The Art of Teaching Reading 241-242



Word Wall Words:
  • seven
  • eight
  • off
  • cold
  • fly
  • because

SCIENCE-
  • We will continue our animal research on the Pebble Go app. The students are researching characteristics of different animal groups. The students are learning how to find important information. 
MATH- This week we will continue to work on solving word problems, finding missing addends in equations, adding three numbers together with a sum up to 20, and fact fluency for addition and subtraction. 
  • CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.A.1
    Use addition and subtraction within 20 to solve word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using objects, drawings, and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
  • CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.A.2
    Solve word problems that call for addition of three whole numbers whose sum is less than or equal to 20, e.g., by using objects, drawings, and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
  • CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.B.4
    Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem. For example, subtract 10 - 8 by finding the number that makes 10 when added to 8.
  • CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.1.OA.C.6
    Add and subtract within 20, demonstrating fluency for addition and subtraction within 10. Use strategies such as counting on; making ten (e.g., 8 + 6 = 8 + 2 + 4 = 10 + 4 = 14); decomposing a number leading to a ten (e.g., 13 - 4 = 13 - 3 - 1 = 10 - 1 = 9); using the relationship between addition and subtraction (e.g., knowing that 8 + 4 = 12, one knows 12 - 8 = 4); and creating equivalent but easier or known sums (e.g., adding 6 + 7 by creating the known equivalent 6 + 6 + 1 = 12 + 1 = 13).
First Graders Rock!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment